— 

Neighbors Help Woman Escape Fire

The Brainerd Fire Department was called at 6:49 p.m. Tuesday to a fire at a home on the 200 block of Highland Scenic Road in Brainerd.
Law enforcement arrived and authorities were advised the fire was in the kitchen. Fire crews arrived on scene and quickly extinguished the fire, according to a news release from the Brainerd Fire Department.
There was some overhaul performed to make sure the fire didn't extend into the attic space, Brainerd Fire Chief Tim Holmes stated in the release. The single female occupant escaped the fire by breaking out a window. She was helped out of the house by neighbors, who reported the fire. The female was transported by North Memorial Ambulance for injuries from crawling through the window and smoke inhalation.
The cause of the fire was from the unattended use of the stove, Holmes reported.
"We want to continue to remind people that there are several things you can do to keep you and your family safe at home," Holmes stated. "Make sure your smoke alarms are working, make sure if you are cooking or have something on the stovetop that you stay in the kitchen, make sure your stovetop is clear of combustibles around it, and make sure your carbon monoxide detectors are working."